Iran has warned that it could shift from a defensive posture to an offensive strategy in the Strait of Hormuz if diplomatic efforts with the United States fail to produce an agreement to end the conflict. A senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday that Tehran was prepared to escalate tensions in the strategically important waterway and take military action if negotiations remained deadlocked. The warning comes as efforts to revive peace talks and restore oil tanker traffic through the Strait of Hormuz have stalled.
The waterway, which connects the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman, is a critical route for global energy supplies. Any prolonged disruption could have wider implications for international oil markets and regional security, making the dispute over control of the strait particularly significant. According to the Iranian official, Tehran has decided to move away from what was described as a defensive policy and adopt a "fully offensive" approach because of the lack of progress in negotiations.
The official said Iranian entities should be prepared to escalate tensions in the strait and across the wider region. Tehran, the official added, would be ready to take what were described as difficult decisions if diplomacy failed to resolve the dispute. The official also warned that Iran could carry out a military attack aimed at breaking what Tehran considers a US naval blockade. The attack, the official said, would be conducted in a "timely and precise" manner if diplomatic efforts failed.
Also Read: China Reportedly Plans $70 Million Air Defence Boost For Iran Amid US Conflict
The comments represent a sharp escalation in rhetoric and underscore the growing risks surrounding the unresolved dispute over the waterway. Monday had been identified as the deadline by which Iran and the United States were expected to reach a final agreement under a memorandum of understanding signed in June. The June 17 agreement established a 60-day timeframe, which could be extended with the consent of both sides. The broader objective was to establish a framework for ending the conflict while addressing issues including the future of Iran's nuclear programme.
The memorandum had called for an immediate and permanent cessation of military operations on all fronts. However, the arrangement quickly came under strain because of disagreements over control of the Strait of Hormuz. With the deadline passing without a final agreement, tensions have remained high and the prospect of further military escalation has increased. Iran's latest warning indicates that Tehran is prepared to use military pressure if negotiations fail, while the continued dispute over the strait remains a major obstacle to restoring normal maritime traffic and achieving a broader settlement.
Also Read: Houthis Attack Saudi Aramco Sites as US Halts Iran Strikes