A labourer was killed and three others were injured after an old building collapsed during demolition work in Delhi's Karol Bagh on Friday, police said. The incident occurred at around 11:15 am on Pyare Lal Road in Regarpura, a densely populated area of the Central Delhi neighbourhood. One of the injured workers was reported to be in critical condition following the collapse, which occurred while labourers were engaged in dismantling the structure. According to police, the building was being demolished by a private contractor hired by its owners. The structure reportedly collapsed suddenly while the demolition work was underway, trapping workers at the site beneath the debris.
Emergency teams were called to the location after the collapse, with rescue efforts focused on locating and pulling out the workers caught under the fallen structure. Police said the incident involved an old building in the area and raised concerns about whether required procedures had been followed before demolition began. Preliminary information indicated that the owner had not obtained permission from the concerned agency to carry out the demolition. Authorities are examining the circumstances surrounding the work and the collapse to determine whether safety regulations and required permissions were violated.
The injured workers were taken for medical treatment, and one of them was said to be in critical condition. The death of the labourer has highlighted the risks faced by workers involved in demolition activities, particularly when work is carried out on ageing or structurally weakened buildings. Such operations require careful assessment of the structure and adherence to safety procedures to prevent unexpected collapses. The incident took place in Regarpura, an area of Karol Bagh where residential and commercial properties are located close to one another.
Also Read: Imran Khan Tells Sister About Health Concerns Linked To Prolonged Isolation At Hospital
Demolition work in densely populated neighbourhoods can pose additional risks because workers and nearby residents may be exposed to falling debris if appropriate precautions are not taken. Authorities are expected to examine the condition of the building before the demolition, the method used by the contractor and the safety arrangements at the site. Police are investigating the circumstances that led to the collapse and are also looking into the alleged lack of permission for the demolition. The findings will help establish whether any negligence or violation of prescribed procedures contributed to the accident.
Officials will also assess the role of the building owner and the private contractor responsible for carrying out the work. The fatal incident comes as a reminder of the dangers associated with unauthorised or inadequately supervised demolition activity. Construction and demolition sites require safety measures to protect workers as well as people in surrounding areas. In this case, the sudden collapse resulted in one death and injuries to three workers, including one person whose condition was reported to be critical. Further details are expected as the police investigation progresses.
Also Read: Amit Shah Accuses Mamata Banerjee Of Delaying Land Transfer For Border Security Measures