Several people were injured after a man armed with a sword attacked a school in Fagersta, central Sweden, on Friday, prompting a major police operation in the area. Authorities said they received reports of ongoing deadly violence at the school and immediately responded with multiple police resources. Officers moved to secure the premises and surrounding areas as emergency teams responded to the incident.
Police said one person was taken into custody in connection with the attack. Officers also shot the suspected attacker while responding to the violence. Authorities have not yet released detailed information about the suspect, including his identity, the circumstances surrounding the shooting or his current condition. The motive behind the attack also remained unclear as investigators continued their work at the scene.
The incident led to a significant security operation at the school, with police establishing restricted and barricaded areas. Members of the public were urged to stay away from those locations and follow instructions issued by authorities. Police resources remained deployed around the school as officials assessed whether there was any continuing threat and worked to establish exactly what had happened.
Also Read: DGGI Uncovers ₹185 Crore Tax Evasion in Illegal UP Tobacco Network
Several people were injured during the attack, although authorities had not immediately provided a detailed breakdown of the number of victims or the seriousness of their injuries. Emergency personnel were involved in the response, while police officers continued securing the area. Investigators are expected to gather statements, examine the scene and establish the sequence of events that led to the sword attack.
The Swedish government was also closely monitoring the situation. Justice Minister Gunnar Strömmer said officials had been informed about the serious incident in Fagersta and that police were working intensively at the location. His comments came as authorities continued to manage the emergency response and gather information about the attack.
The incident has raised fresh concerns about safety at educational institutions, although authorities have not indicated that the attack was connected to any broader threat. Police are expected to provide further information as the investigation progresses. For now, officials have asked people in Fagersta to avoid the secured areas, remain alert and follow directions from emergency services.
The investigation will focus on the attacker’s movements, the motive for the assault and the circumstances that led officers to use their firearms. Authorities are also expected to determine whether the suspect acted alone and whether anyone else was involved. Further details about the injured victims and the suspect are likely to emerge once officials have completed their initial assessment.
Also Read: Rajasthan College Principal Apologises in Writing After Student Misbehaviour Row