India on Sunday strongly condemned the drone attack targeting the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the United Arab Emirates, calling it a “dangerous escalation” and urging all sides to exercise restraint. The Indian Ministry of External Affairs issued a statement expressing deep concern over the incident, which triggered a fire near the nuclear facility that supplies nearly 25 percent of the UAE’s electricity requirements. Indian authorities emphasized the need for dialogue and diplomacy amid rising tensions in the Middle East.
According to the UAE government, three drones entered the country from the western border during the attack. Officials said one drone struck the inner perimeter of the Barakah nuclear facility, while two others were intercepted before reaching their targets. Authorities confirmed that no injuries were reported and radiation levels at the site remained unaffected. The attack marked the first known strike targeting the four-reactor nuclear facility since it became operational in 2020.
In its official response, India described the targeting of a civilian nuclear installation as unacceptable and warned that such incidents could further destabilize an already volatile region. The Ministry of External Affairs said the attack represented a serious threat to regional peace and security at a time when ceasefire efforts in the Middle East remain fragile. Reports suggesting possible renewed military action involving the United States and Iran have heightened concerns over broader regional conflict.
Also Read: Four Key Takeaways From Elon Musk’s Lawsuit Against OpenAI Co-Founders
The UAE also issued a sharp condemnation of the strike, describing it as an “unprovoked terrorist attack” and a direct threat to the country’s sovereignty and security. Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan held discussions with foreign ministers from several Gulf and Arab nations, including Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco, Egypt, and Bahrain. The countries collectively condemned the attack and reaffirmed the UAE’s right to defend itself against threats to its security.
Senior UAE presidential adviser Anwar Gargash appeared to indirectly blame Iran and its regional proxy groups for the incident. In a statement posted on social media, Gargash called the attack a violation of international laws and norms, accusing the perpetrators of disregarding civilian safety. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted three drones that reportedly entered its airspace from Iraq before the attack unfolded.
The Barakah nuclear power plant, constructed with assistance from South Korea at an estimated cost of $20 billion, remains the only operational nuclear power facility in the Arab world. The UAE previously signed a strict “123 agreement” with the United States under which it agreed not to enrich uranium domestically in order to address international non-proliferation concerns. The incident has renewed global attention on nuclear security in the Gulf region, especially amid continuing tensions involving Iran and broader geopolitical instability across West Asia.
Also Read: DMK Leader Predicts Vijay's TVK Government Won't Survive Beyond Four Months