Clashes broke out between protesting students, police and workers of the ruling Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) in Ranchi and other parts of Jharkhand on Friday evening as students attempted to burn effigies of Chief Minister Hemant Soren and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi. Similar incidents were reported in Hazaribag and Giridih, where JMM workers reportedly confronted students during the protest. The demonstrations were linked to ongoing concerns over recruitment examinations and government decisions affecting job aspirants.
The protest was organised by student leaders under the banner of the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, who have accused the Jharkhand government of failing job aspirants. Police said a large group gathered at Albert Chowk in Ranchi to burn the effigies, and a scuffle broke out when authorities attempted to control the situation. Ranchi Deputy Superintendent of Police KV Raman said the protesters changed the route approved for the march and later moved towards the JPSC office, disrupting traffic in the area.
According to Raman, police repeatedly asked the protesters to follow the designated route for the march and effigy burning but their requests were not followed. Student leaders, however, alleged that police and JMM workers attempted to prevent them from holding what they described as a peaceful and democratic protest. JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch leader Ravindra Paswan said the protesters would not be stopped from exercising their right to demonstrate. Another student leader, Piyush Kumar Singh, alleged that core committee member Kunal was detained and later fainted before being taken to Sadar Hospital.
Also Read: Jharkhand Exam Row: Protests Persist Despite Cancellation, CBI Demand Stands
The protesters also alleged that women participants were assaulted during the confrontation with JMM workers. The students had earlier called off their agitation after the Soren government announced the cancellation of certain JPSC examinations following allegations of irregularities. However, tensions resurfaced after the Jharkhand High Court issued a series of orders concerning recruitment-related cancellations, prompting student groups to renew their protests and demand clarity over the recruitment process.
On Friday, the High Court stayed notifications cancelling appointments of Child Development Project Officers and candidates recruited through the JSSC-CGL examination. A day earlier, the court had stayed notifications cancelling the 11th and 13th JPSC examinations and also halted the cancellation of appointments of food safety officers. The court proceedings have therefore become a key part of the dispute, with student organisations closely watching decisions concerning examinations and appointments.
Meanwhile, JLKM leader Devendra Nath Mahto announced plans to begin a “Recruitment System Reforms Yatra” from August 24. He accused the Jharkhand government of not strongly defending cases concerning cancelled recruitment examinations before the High Court. Mahto warned that if the government failed to effectively present its position when the cases are heard on September 15, his organisation would consider a protest outside the chief minister’s residence, adding another potential escalation to the ongoing recruitment controversy.
Also Read: Jharkhand Students Warn of Mass Movement as Recruitment Exam Protest Grows