A grenade attack near a school in Afghanistan's capital Kabul injured numerous children on Monday, according to Afghan authorities, with local media reports putting the number of wounded at around 50. The explosion took place in the Dasht-e-Barchi neighbourhood, a densely populated area largely inhabited by members of the Hazara ethnic minority. Kabul police spokesman Khalid Zadran confirmed late Monday that "a number of children" had been wounded and said an investigation was underway. He did not provide a precise casualty figure or disclose details about the circumstances surrounding the blast.
Afghan authorities have yet to identify those responsible for the attack or establish a motive. The incident occurred near a school during the afternoon, raising immediate concerns over the safety of students and civilians in the area. Afghan media reported that around 50 children were injured, although the figure has not been independently confirmed. Officials have not immediately released information about the severity of the injuries or whether any other people were affected. Security personnel and investigators were expected to examine the scene and gather evidence as part of the ongoing probe.
The blast drew condemnation from Richard Bennett, the United Nations' special rapporteur for Afghanistan, who described the incident as a "heinous attack" that harmed numerous children. Bennett called for an independent investigation and said those responsible should be held accountable. He also pointed to the location of the attack, noting that Dasht-e-Barchi is predominantly inhabited by members of the Hazara community and has repeatedly experienced violence. His remarks underscored longstanding concerns over attacks against civilians and minority groups in Afghanistan.
Also Read: Rahul Gandhi Praises Jharkhand Government, Students For Finding Common Ground Amid Protest
The Hazara community, which represents an estimated 9 per cent of Afghanistan's population, has faced discrimination, persecution and repeated attacks for decades. Most Hazaras are Shia Muslims and have been targeted by Sunni extremist organisations, including Islamic State militants. The community has suffered numerous deadly attacks at schools, places of worship and other civilian locations. The latest incident has therefore raised fresh concerns about the vulnerability of children and other residents in Dasht-e-Barchi, particularly given the neighbourhood's history of sectarian violence.
The area witnessed one of Afghanistan's most devastating attacks against schoolchildren in May 2021. Three explosions outside a school in Dasht-e-Barchi killed dozens of people, most of them young girls from the Hazara community who were leaving classes. The attack took place several months before the Taliban seized power following the chaotic withdrawal of US-led troops from Afghanistan. Although the circumstances and perpetrators of Monday's blast remain unclear, the location has revived memories of earlier violence against Hazara civilians and schoolchildren.
The latest attack comes amid continuing concerns over security and protection of vulnerable communities in Afghanistan. While Taliban authorities have repeatedly said that security has improved since they returned to power, militant violence and attacks targeting religious and ethnic minorities remain a serious concern. The authorities have not yet publicly attributed Monday's blast to any particular organisation, and no group had immediately claimed responsibility. Further information is expected as investigators establish how the grenade was used and whether the attack was deliberately directed at the school or nearby civilians.
For families in Dasht-e-Barchi, the incident has once again highlighted the risks faced by children simply attending school. The reported scale of the injuries has also intensified calls for stronger protection around educational institutions and for accountability when attacks occur. Bennett's demand for an independent investigation reflects wider international concerns about the protection of civilians and minority communities in Afghanistan. Authorities will now face pressure to determine who carried out the attack, establish the full casualty toll and ensure that those responsible are brought to justice.
Also Read: 8 UP Labourers Killed In Bhind Road Crash, Yogi Announces Rs 2 Lakh Aid