The newly elected BJP government in West Bengal has ordered a fresh investigation into the controversy surrounding the Lionel Messi event held at Salt Lake Stadium in December 2025. State Sports Minister Nishith Pramanik said the administration is reviewing all files linked to the incident and is also considering the possibility of refunding spectators who purchased expensive tickets for the troubled event. The move comes months after widespread criticism over crowd mismanagement and alleged irregularities during the football icon’s visit to Kolkata.
The controversy dates back to December 13, 2025, when Argentine football star Lionel Messi arrived at the stadium as part of his G.O.A.T. India Tour along with fellow players Luis Suárez and Rodrigo de Paul. Large crowds gathered to watch the event, with many spectators reportedly paying more than Rs 12,000 for tickets. However, chaos broke out shortly after Messi’s arrival as politicians, officials, photographers, and celebrities surrounded the players, obstructing visibility for fans seated in the stands and creating major security concerns inside the venue.
According to reports, a large number of unauthorized individuals entered the stadium, leading to overcrowding and disruption of security arrangements. Messi reportedly left the venue within about 25 minutes, with his management citing safety concerns and an unsafe environment. The abrupt departure triggered anger among spectators, some of whom vandalized parts of the stadium by tearing seats and throwing objects onto the field. Videos from the incident had gone viral on social media, drawing criticism of the event’s organization and crowd management.
Also Read: PM Modi Jokes About Jhalmuri in Netherlands, Drawing Laughter From Audience
Following the backlash, then Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee publicly apologized and ordered an inquiry under retired Justice Ashim Kumar Ray. Former Sports Minister Aroop Biswas resigned after facing criticism over the handling of the event. A Special Investigating Team comprising senior police officials was also formed to probe the incident. Event organizer Satadru Dutta was arrested the same day, though he later alleged that he had been made a scapegoat while more influential individuals escaped accountability.
Dutta subsequently approached the Supreme Court and filed a Rs 100-crore defamation suit, claiming the original investigation lacked transparency because police officials were effectively probing their own conduct. Despite mounting pressure from affected ticket holders, no compensation or refund was issued under the previous Trinamool Congress government. Many football fans and spectators had continued to demand accountability over what they described as one of the most disappointing sports events in the state’s recent history.
With the BJP now in power after ending 15 years of TMC rule in West Bengal, the new administration says it intends to conduct a comprehensive review of ticket sales, security arrangements, and administrative failures linked to the event. Sports Minister Nishith Pramanik stated that strict action would be taken if corruption or negligence is found during the probe. He also confirmed that discussions are underway regarding refunds for affected spectators, although no final decision has been announced yet.
Also Read: West Bengal Police Station Vandalized After Loudspeaker Volume Complaint Turns Violent