At least 30 miners were killed after a gold mine collapsed in the western part of the Central African Republic on Tuesday, while several others remained trapped underground, according to authorities and residents. Rescue teams and local workers continued efforts to reach those believed to be buried beneath the collapsed mine, although hopes of finding survivors were reportedly declining as the operation continued. The collapse occurred Tuesday morning at an artisanal gold mining site in the Abba region of Nana-Mambere prefecture, according to Florian Gaguende, one of the miners who survived the incident.
Gaguende said rescuers were searching for additional miners who were believed to remain trapped inside the collapsed section. He warned that the chances of finding them alive were becoming increasingly slim as time passed. Souleymane Bi, deputy mayor of the local sub-prefecture, said rescuers and residents had worked for several hours to recover bodies from the mine. Thirty bodies had been pulled from the collapsed site, while injured miners were receiving medical treatment, he said. Bi described the situation as extremely serious and appealed for assistance from organisations and individuals who could help with the rescue operation.
"It is horrible and we are calling for help from organizations and all people of good will to help pull from the hole those who are unable to do so," Bi said. The rescue operation was being conducted under difficult circumstances at the low-tech mining site, where workers were attempting to reach people trapped beneath the debris while also recovering those who had died. Footage appearing to show the aftermath of the collapse depicted chaotic rescue efforts at the expansive mining site. Miners and other workers, many of them covered in mud, could be seen attempting to recover victims from the pit.
Also Read: Foreign Passenger Dies During Probe After Spraying Extinguisher On Mumbai-Delhi Train
The footage also showed groups of people gathered around the site, with some shouting for help as rescue efforts continued. Artisanal mining is widespread in parts of the Central African Republic, where miners often work at relatively small-scale sites using basic equipment. Such operations can carry significant safety risks, particularly when workers operate underground or in unstable sections without the infrastructure and safety measures typically associated with large-scale industrial mining. The latest collapse has once again highlighted the dangers faced by workers at informal and low-tech mining sites.
The full number of people affected by Tuesday's collapse was not immediately clear. Authorities said additional miners could still be trapped, raising concerns that the death toll could increase as rescue workers reach deeper sections of the collapsed site. The condition of those receiving treatment was also not immediately detailed. Government spokesman Evariste Ngamana expressed sympathy to the families of those killed and said authorities were working to provide relief and assistance to the affected community.
Rescue workers and local residents were continuing their efforts at the site as officials assessed the scale of the disaster. The collapse represents a major tragedy for the mining community in western Central African Republic, with dozens of families already facing the loss of relatives and the possibility that more victims could be found. Authorities are expected to continue rescue and recovery operations while assessing the circumstances that led to the mine's collapse and determining the full extent of the casualties.
Also Read: #JUSTIN: UAE Says Two Iranian Ballistic Missiles Were Launched, One Fell Within Its Waters