Dewas police on Thursday arrested the main accused in the Tonkkala firecracker factory blast case, Mukesh Vij, at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi, marking a significant breakthrough in the investigation into the deadly explosion that killed more than five people and injured over 20 others.
According to officials, Vij was detained upon his arrival from Guangzhou, China, after authorities acted on a Look Out Circular (LOC) and coordinated intelligence inputs. A special police team tracked his movements and apprehended him shortly after he landed at the airport. The arrest comes weeks after the explosion at a firecracker manufacturing unit in the Tonkkala area of Dewas district, which triggered widespread concern over industrial safety standards.
The blast had caused a massive fire at the facility, sending shockwaves across the region and sparking a political exchange between Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders, who traded allegations over negligence and enforcement lapses. Following the incident, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Mohan Yadav ordered the formation of a Special Investigation Team to probe the circumstances surrounding the explosion and identify those responsible.
Also Read: Firecracker Factory Blast In Thrissur Kills Eight, Rescue Operations Continue
So far, police have arrested five individuals in connection with the case, including Mukesh Vij, a minor identified as Mahesh Chauhan from Uttarakhand, and three others named Anil, Mohammad Ayaz, and Kapil Vij. Officials said the investigation is being carried out with the assistance of a 13-member special team constituted to examine safety violations, operational irregularities, and possible illegal activities at the factory.
Authorities confirmed that senior officers, including Additional Director General Rakesh Gupta and Range Inspector General Navneet Bhasin, are overseeing the probe. The Madhya Pradesh government has also announced an ex-gratia compensation of ₹10 lakh for the families of those killed in the blast. Officials said further investigations are underway to determine the full extent of the network involved and to ensure strict legal action against all those found responsible for the incident.
Also Read: Delhi Cyber Police Bust ₹40 Crore Fraud Network, Arrest 35 Across Multiple States