Uncertainty continued on Friday over Bangladesh Prime Minister Tarique Rahman’s reported visit to India, with the Ministry of External Affairs declining to provide confirmation about the proposed trip. During the regular MEA briefing, spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said he had no updates on Rahman’s visit to New Delhi. “I have nothing to say on this matter. If I have any updates, I will share them with you,” Jaiswal said when asked about the plans.
The uncertainty deepened after the Rashtrapati Bhavan withdrew an official communication concerning Saturday’s Change of Guard ceremony. The earlier notice had said that the regular ceremony would not be held to accommodate a full rehearsal connected with Rahman’s proposed ceremonial welcome. The withdrawal of the communication created further questions over whether the visit, which had been under discussion for some time, would go ahead as reportedly planned.
Rashtrapati Bhavan later issued a fresh statement saying that the press release titled “No Change of Guard Ceremony this Saturday” stood withdrawn. The Change of Guard ceremony is a regular military tradition held at the forecourt of Rashtrapati Bhavan, generally every Saturday morning. The 30-minute ceremony involves the periodic replacement of guards and sentries, allowing a fresh contingent of troops to take charge. It is not held when Saturday coincides with a gazetted holiday or when Rashtrapati Bhavan separately notifies its suspension.
Also Read: Bangladesh Eyes Membership In Saudi-Pakistan-Turkey Mecca Defence Pact
Rahman’s visit to India had reportedly been planned for August 23 and 24, although the proposed schedule appeared to face unresolved issues. Earlier this month, the MEA had said India invited Rahman for a bilateral visit and to participate in the outreach session of the upcoming BRICS summit in New Delhi. A series of diplomatic engagements have since taken place between the two sides as officials worked to finalise arrangements and other details surrounding the high-profile visit.
The proposed visit also comes amid renewed diplomatic sensitivities between New Delhi and Dhaka, particularly over former Bangladesh prime minister Sheikh Hasina. Hasina held a virtual media interaction from New Delhi on August 5, following which Bangladesh again pressed its demand for her extradition. Dhaka also sought to connect the issue with Rahman’s possible visit to India, adding another layer of complexity to the diplomatic discussions surrounding the trip.
India subsequently distanced itself from Hasina’s media interaction, stating that New Delhi had neither played a role in organising it nor endorsed her comments. Hasina, 78, was removed from power in August 2024 following violent student-led protests and has remained in India since fleeing Bangladesh on August 5 that year. Against this backdrop, the absence of confirmation from the MEA and the withdrawal of the Rashtrapati Bhavan notice have left the timing and status of Rahman’s reported India visit uncertain.
Also Read: India’s High Commissioner Dinesh Trivedi Meets PM Modi On Bangladesh Relations