A fresh landslide struck a section of the Mussoorie-Dehradun road on Saturday, disrupting traffic and prompting authorities to restrict the movement of heavy and large vehicles. The incident caused traffic congestion and temporarily brought movement along the important route to a halt. Light vehicles have been allowed to pass, but officials have maintained restrictions on heavier vehicles as a precautionary measure. The road remains vulnerable because of ongoing monsoon conditions in the region.
The latest landslide has added to concerns over the safety and reliability of the route, which is an important link for residents, commuters and visitors travelling between Dehradun and Mussoorie. Following the incident, authorities intervened to restore traffic movement and clear the affected section. Although vehicles are now being allowed through, motorists have been advised to exercise caution while crossing the damaged stretch. Officials are also monitoring the surrounding hillside for signs of further movement or fresh landslides.
Mussoorie Sub-Divisional Magistrate Rahul Anand said the movement of heavy and large vehicles had been prohibited as a precaution. Authorities have deployed personnel to monitor the affected area around the clock and manage traffic conditions. Alternative routes are also being kept available wherever necessary to reduce inconvenience to commuters. The restriction on heavy vehicles has been in place since Friday night and will remain until officials determine that the road is sufficiently safe for unrestricted movement.
Also Read: Rs 75 Lakh Delhi Robbery Solved In 48 Hours, Six Arrested, Cash And Phones Recovered
Repair work on the damaged section is expected to take around eight to 10 days, according to an engineer overseeing the restoration effort. Officials said two-way traffic is likely to be fully restored only after the necessary repairs are completed. The timeline could depend on weather conditions and the stability of the surrounding slopes. Travellers using the road have therefore been asked to plan their journeys carefully and follow instructions issued by local authorities while repair and safety work continues.
Residents have also expressed concern that the road could face further disruptions as the monsoon season continues. Local resident Deepak said roughly a month of the rainy season remains and several stretches along the route are still considered vulnerable to landslides. He specifically raised concerns about the possibility of debris reaching the road near the Kolukhet Pani Wala Bend. Such incidents could once again affect traffic and create difficulties for people travelling between the two destinations.
The administration has said it is keeping a close watch on vulnerable sections of the Mussoorie-Dehradun road and is taking precautionary measures to prevent further disruption. The immediate priority is to complete repairs, maintain traffic movement for light vehicles and ensure the safety of commuters. With the threat of additional landslides continuing during the monsoon, authorities have urged motorists to remain alert and avoid unnecessary risks while travelling through affected stretches. The heavy-vehicle restriction is expected to remain until the damaged section is made safe.
Also Read: Gujarat CM Bhupendra Patel Explores Investment, Mobility And Technology Partnerships In New York