Kenya’s public transport operators have suspended a nationwide strike for one week, stepping back from industrial action to allow negotiations with the government following two days of violent protests triggered by a sharp rise in fuel prices. The decision comes after unrest that left four people dead, more than 30 injured, and hundreds arrested across the country.
The strike had paralysed transport services in several regions, leaving commuters stranded for a second consecutive day as operators kept their vehicles off the roads. The protests escalated into clashes between demonstrators and police, with roads blocked by burning tyres and major highways rendered impassable in multiple areas.
The unrest was sparked after fuel prices in Kenya surged to record levels on Friday, with diesel rising by 23.5% and petrol by 8%. Transport operators said the hike made it increasingly difficult to sustain operations, prompting demands for government intervention to reduce fuel costs and ease pressure on commuters.
Also Read: France Pledges €23 Billion Investment In Africa At Nairobi Summit In Kenya
Talks between transport stakeholders and the government had collapsed earlier in the week, deepening tensions on the streets. Authorities attributed the rise in fuel prices to global energy pressures, including disruptions linked to the ongoing Iran-related conflict, which has affected supply routes and contributed to volatility in international oil markets. Opposition figures, however, blamed domestic pricing dynamics and alleged profiteering by business interests.
Kenya’s Interior Minister Kipchumba Murkomen said in a televised briefing that consultations with all fuel sector stakeholders would be held within seven days to address pricing concerns and restore stability. He added that the government aimed to balance economic realities with public pressure over transportation costs.
A representative of the transporters’ association, Kennedy Kaunda, confirmed the temporary suspension of the strike, saying members would allow negotiations to proceed but would reassess their position if no agreement is reached within a week. Meanwhile, authorities said 348 people arrested during the protests would face charges related to participation in illegal demonstrations as security operations continue in affected areas.
Also Read: Qatar Says US-Iran Negotiations Need More Time Amid Ongoing Diplomacy