US immigration officials maintained a previously undisclosed channel of communication with Iranian authorities to coordinate deportation flights carrying Iranian nationals back to Iran, according to hundreds of newly released emails. The documents provide a detailed account of how officials from the two countries worked together despite longstanding diplomatic tensions and worsening relations between Washington and Tehran. The emails were obtained by the National Iranian American Council and made public on Tuesday. They provide what the council described as a detailed account of the arrangements surrounding three US immigration flights that returned more than 100 Iranians to Iran in September and December 2025 and January 2026.
The correspondence shows that Iranian officials appeared to have a role in determining which Iranian immigrants were included on some of the deportation lists. According to the emails, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials accommodated several requests from the Iranian Embassy to modify deportation manifests. In one message written in late August, an unnamed ICE official said, "Per request from the Iran Embassy I added a few cases." More than a week later, an official with the same job title wrote that another change was being made after meeting with the "Director at the Iranian Embassy." The official said Iran had requested an amendment to an earlier manifest and wanted the removal process expedited.
The communication continued close to the departure of at least one flight. In an email dated September 26, just three days before the scheduled deportation flight left the United States, an ICE official said the Iranian Embassy was still requesting that three additional Iranian nationals be included. The documents do not make clear which individuals ultimately travelled on the flight, which was considerably smaller than initially planned. Iranian officials were reportedly still making requests on the day of departure, although one ICE official said those requests were denied. The coordination occurred against a particularly sensitive backdrop. ICE officials acknowledged internally that Iranians were fleeing their country during and after the 12-day war involving the United States and Israel in June 2025.
Also Read: Indian National Jashandeep Singh Deported from US Over Criminal Conviction
The deportation flights nevertheless remained a priority, with the first flight taking place only months after the United States, Israel and Iran reached a ceasefire arrangement following the conflict. The disclosures are significant because they show practical cooperation between US immigration authorities and Iranian officials despite the absence of normal diplomatic relations between Washington and Tehran. The emails suggest that Iranian representatives were able to communicate directly with US officials regarding deportation cases and, at least in some instances, influence changes to passenger lists. The extent of the Iranian government's broader involvement in the deportation process remains unclear from the released correspondence.
The deportations have also prompted criticism from human rights advocates. Iran has a longstanding record of allegations involving the persecution of political dissidents, women, religious minorities and other groups. Critics have therefore questioned the decision to return Iranian nationals to a country where some people could face serious risks because of their political views, identity or other circumstances. The new disclosures also mark a notable departure from the history of Iranian migration to the United States following the 1979 Islamic Revolution. Large numbers of Iranians fled the country in the aftermath of the revolution, including dissidents, political opponents and others seeking refuge abroad. The United States subsequently became an important destination for Iranian exiles and members of the Iranian diaspora.
The emails now raise questions about how deportation decisions involving Iranian nationals were made and what safeguards were applied before individuals were returned. They also provide a rare glimpse into operational contacts between US immigration officials and Iranian representatives at a time when the two governments remained deeply divided over security, nuclear policy and regional affairs. The US Department of Homeland Security did not provide a response to an emailed request for comment sent Tuesday afternoon. The newly released correspondence does not by itself establish that any individual was improperly deported, but it documents repeated communication between ICE officials and Iranian authorities over deportation manifests. Further scrutiny is likely as lawmakers, advocacy groups and immigration experts examine the records and the circumstances surrounding the flights.
Also Read: US To Require Online Filing For Green Cards, Citizenship And Asylum Applications