×
 

Iran’s Ghalibaf Vows Strait Of Hormuz Will Stay Closed Until US Lifts Sanctions

Ghalibaf Links Hormuz Opening To Sanctions Relief.

Iranian Parliament Speaker and top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said on Tuesday that the strategically important Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the United States meets Tehran's demands, including the lifting of what Iran describes as a naval blockade. His remarks signal that reopening the crucial maritime route remains closely tied to broader negotiations between Tehran and Washington. "I want to state clearly that the Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the American commitments stipulated in the memorandum of understanding... are implemented," Ghalibaf said in a speech broadcast on Iranian state television. The statement comes amid stalled efforts to revive an agreement aimed at ending the conflict between Iran and the United States.

Ghalibaf listed several conditions that Tehran expects Washington to meet before the strait can be reopened. These include removing the naval blockade, lifting sanctions affecting Iranian oil exports and unfreezing Iranian assets held abroad. The demands were included in an Iran-US truce reached in June, but the understanding later collapsed amid disagreements between the two sides. The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world's most important energy shipping routes, connecting the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman and the wider Arabian Sea. Large quantities of crude oil and other energy products pass through the narrow waterway, making any prolonged disruption a concern for international energy markets and countries dependent on Gulf supplies.

Iran's position puts the future of maritime traffic through the strait at the centre of the wider confrontation with Washington. Tehran has previously used its control over waters surrounding the passage as a source of strategic leverage, particularly during periods of heightened tensions with the United States and its allies. Ghalibaf also adopted a confrontational tone during his speech, saying Iran was prepared to respond forcefully to what it considers hostile actions. He said Iran was "ready to inflict an even more crushing defeat on the enemy, proportionate to its actions and advances". The comments reflect the continuing tension between Tehran and Washington despite diplomatic efforts to secure a lasting ceasefire.

Also Read: Rubio Warns Iran Control Of Hormuz Would Set A Dangerous Precedent

The conflict between Iran and the United States began on February 28 following US-Israeli attacks on Iran, according to Iranian officials, triggering a wider regional confrontation. The fighting has since affected diplomatic relations and raised concerns over shipping and energy security across the Gulf region. The June memorandum of understanding had offered a framework for ending the hostilities and addressing broader issues between the two countries. Among the issues were sanctions, Iran's oil exports, access to frozen assets and arrangements concerning the Strait of Hormuz. The collapse of the truce has since left negotiations at an impasse.

Iran's latest position suggests that Tehran does not intend to reopen the waterway without receiving concrete concessions from Washington. For the United States, the demands include measures affecting sanctions and military operations, potentially making any agreement politically and strategically difficult. The dispute over Hormuz therefore remains a major obstacle to broader de-escalation. Until the two sides reach an understanding over the blockade, sanctions and other terms of their earlier agreement, Iran's pledge to keep the strait closed could continue to complicate efforts to restore normal commercial shipping and bring the wider conflict to an end.

Also Read: Ambassador Gor Urges India, US To Bridge Differences And Strengthen Strategic Partnership

 
 
 
Gallery Gallery Videos Videos Share on WhatsApp Share