×
 

Ben-Gvir Urges Israel To Kill Dozens In Gaza Every Night, Defying Netanyahu’s Approach

Ben-Gvir urges nightly Gaza killings

Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir has publicly advocated killing between 30 and 40 people in Gaza each night, making the remarks during a podcast conversation with Rom Braslavski, a former hostage held in Gaza. Ben-Gvir, a prominent far-right figure in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s governing coalition, criticised what he described as a reduction in Israeli strikes on the Gaza Strip and called for a more aggressive military approach. The comments were made while Ben-Gvir and Braslavski were discussing Israel’s response to the Hamas attack of October 7, 2023.

During the conversation, Ben-Gvir said he disagreed with Netanyahu over the scale and nature of Israel’s military operations in Gaza. He argued that Israel should carry out targeted killings on a regular basis and said the country should be killing 30 to 40 people each night. Ben-Gvir went beyond calling for attacks against people considered immediate threats. During the podcast, he said there were people in Gaza whom he considered "not worthy of life" and described them in dehumanising terms.

The remarks were subsequently circulated by Palestinian media and drew attention because of the minister’s senior position within the Israeli government and his longstanding hard-line views on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Ben-Gvir has previously faced widespread condemnation over statements concerning Palestinians and the conduct of Israel’s war in Gaza. Similar remarks by Israeli officials have also been cited in submissions and proceedings before the International Court of Justice as evidence that critics say demonstrates genocidal intent.

Also Read: PM Modi Responds To Netanyahu’s I-Day Greeting, Highlights Enduring India-Israel Friendship

Israel has rejected allegations that it is committing genocide in Gaza and has maintained that its military campaign is directed against Hamas and other armed groups. The latest comments come amid continuing international scrutiny of Israel’s military operations in Gaza and the humanitarian consequences of the conflict. The war began after Hamas-led militants attacked Israel on October 7, 2023, killing around 1,200 people and taking hostages, according to Israeli authorities.

Israel responded with a large-scale military campaign in Gaza that has resulted in extensive destruction and a high Palestinian death toll, while humanitarian agencies have repeatedly warned about the conditions facing civilians. Ben-Gvir’s remarks have also drawn attention because of the political influence of far-right figures within Netanyahu’s coalition. The minister has repeatedly pushed for tougher military and security policies and has been a vocal critic of measures that he believes limit Israel’s military response. His latest comments underscore divisions within Israel’s political leadership over the intensity and objectives of military operations in Gaza. The statement was reportedly given limited attention by Israeli domestic media compared with the attention it received in Palestinian media.

Critics say the remarks reflect the growing influence of positions that were once considered outside the political mainstream. Israel is due to hold parliamentary elections on October 27, adding a political dimension to the debate over security policy and the conduct of the Gaza war. Ben-Gvir’s comments remain his own stated position and do not by themselves establish Israeli government policy. The remarks, however, have intensified scrutiny of the rhetoric used by senior Israeli officials during the conflict and are likely to fuel further debate over the treatment of civilians in Gaza, the limits of military force and the broader political direction of Israel’s war policy.

Also Read: UK Condemns Netanyahu’s “Islamic Republic Of Britain” Comment As Unacceptable

 
 
 
Gallery Gallery Videos Videos Share on WhatsApp Share