Australia's T20 World Cup Exit Blamed on Baffling Steve Smith Oversight
Mark Waugh criticises selectors for snubbing Steve Smith in failed campaign.
Australia’s T20 World Cup 2026 campaign came to a premature end on Tuesday, prompting sharp criticism from former batter Mark Waugh, who said the team’s exit was “doomed from the get-go.” The rain-abandoned Group B clash between Zimbabwe and Ireland in Pallekele sealed Australia’s fate, knocking Mitchell Marsh’s side out of the tournament. The early elimination marked a disappointing campaign for the 2021 champions. Waugh pointed to selection calls and injuries as the key reasons behind the team’s struggles. His remarks have reignited debate around Australia’s squad strategy.
Australia’s campaign had already been dented before the tournament began, with key pacers Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood ruled out due to injuries. The absence of the experienced duo weakened the bowling attack significantly. Despite concerns, selectors stuck to their initial plans. Waugh argued that the combination of issues and injury setbacks left the side vulnerable from the outset. He described the overall selection approach as deeply flawed.
Much of the criticism centred on the handling of Steve Smith, who was initially left out despite strong form in the Big Bash League for the Sydney Sixers. Smith was only added to the squad late, ahead of the must-win clash against Sri Lanka, as a replacement for Hazlewood. However, he did not feature in the playing XI. Waugh called the decision “the most baffling non-selection” he could recall. He went further, saying leaving Smith on the sidelines was “an insult” to the senior batter.
Also Read: T20 World Cup 2026: Nepal vs Scotland T20 World Cup Match Live Today at Wankhede
Following the defeat to Sri Lanka, Australia’s Super 8 hopes depended on Ireland beating Zimbabwe. When that match was washed out, Zimbabwe advanced on points, rendering Australia’s final fixture against Oman inconsequential. The result confirmed Australia’s second-ever group-stage exit in T20 World Cup history after 2009. Even in a favourable scenario, Australia would have needed a large win over Oman and additional results to go their way. The campaign ultimately unravelled amid mounting pressure.
Waugh remained critical of the selectors’ decision-making, stressing Smith’s strengths against spin and his fielding value. He said selectors must better identify in-form players and “play the percentages” more effectively. According to him, Australia had its best player “by 100 yards” sitting unused during a crucial tournament phase. The comments add to growing scrutiny of Australia’s planning and execution at the T20 World Cup. The team will now look to regroup after a disappointing campaign.
Also Read: T20 WC 2026: New Zealand Target Super 8 Qualification With Win Over Canada Today