×
 

Western Railway Demolishes 400 Illegal Structures in Bandra

Western Railway demolishes 400 illegal structures on Bandra East railway land for transport redevelopment.

Western Railway has launched a large-scale demolition drive in the Garib Nagar area near Bandra East station and Bandra Terminus to remove illegal encroachments built on railway land. The five-day operation, which began earlier this week, targets more than 400 unauthorized structures spread across nearly 5,200 square meters of land adjacent to the railway tracks. Authorities said the move is part of a broader infrastructure redevelopment project aimed at improving railway connectivity and expanding transport capacity in Mumbai’s western corridor.

The demolition exercise involves the removal of makeshift residential structures, tin-sheet houses, and small commercial establishments that had developed over several years in the densely populated settlement. Heavy machinery, including JCB excavators and forklifts, has been deployed to clear debris and speed up the process. Visuals from the site showed extensive police presence and ongoing demolition work as railway authorities attempted to complete the operation without major disruptions to train services and nearby traffic movement.

According to railway officials, the cleared land is crucial for a major urban transport redevelopment initiative that seeks to transform Bandra East into a key multimodal transit hub. The project includes the construction of additional railway lines along the Santacruz–Mumbai Central corridor to reduce congestion and improve operational efficiency. Authorities believe the expansion will help accommodate nearly 50 additional originating trains from Mumbai while strengthening the connectivity between Bandra Suburban Station and Bandra Terminus.

Also Read: Trump Says Iran Talks Near Final Stage, Warns Of “Nasty” Measures

The anti-encroachment drive is being carried out under the supervision of multiple civic and security agencies following directives linked to a Bombay High Court order. The court had previously observed that only residents identified as legally eligible during an August 2021 survey would qualify for rehabilitation benefits. Officials stated that around 100 affected families are expected to receive alternative housing arrangements through the state government, while several other residents may not qualify under the existing rehabilitation framework.

The operation has also triggered heightened security arrangements in and around the demolition zone. Nearly 400 Mumbai Police personnel have been stationed in the area along with police vans, ambulances, and emergency response teams to prevent any untoward incidents during the eviction process. Authorities are closely monitoring the situation amid concerns over possible protests, public unrest, and traffic congestion around Bandra East and adjoining routes.

The demolition drive has drawn wider attention after the US Embassy in India issued a public advisory cautioning citizens about potential traffic delays and disturbances near Bandra station between May 19 and May 23. The advisory urged commuters and travelers to use alternate routes and remain alert during the ongoing clearance operation. Railway officials, however, maintained that the redevelopment plan is necessary for long-term transport expansion and improved commuter infrastructure in Mumbai’s rapidly growing suburban network.

Also Read: PM Modi, Meloni Join Hands In Rome For ‘Ek Ped Maa Ke Naam’ Campaign

 
 
 
Gallery Gallery Videos Videos Share on WhatsApp Share