Reservation Hatao Andolan Says Centre Agrees to Talks, Stir Continues
RHA claims government agreed to discuss reservation reform demands.
The Reservation Hatao Andolan (RHA) on Saturday claimed that the government had agreed to hold discussions with protesters over their demands for reservation reforms. The campaign said a Union minister would personally meet representatives of the movement for talks. The development came a day after RHA supporters gathered at Jantar Mantar in Delhi for a demonstration against the existing reservation system and demanded changes to reservation-related policies.
RHA, an Instagram-based campaign, had appealed to its followers to participate in the physical protest at Jantar Mantar on Friday. The mobilisation drew a large gathering, according to the campaign. The social media page, which has around 5.6 million Instagram followers, has used online outreach to promote the movement and encourage supporters to participate in demonstrations. The latest announcement followed discussions surrounding the protesters' demands and their efforts to seek engagement with the government.
In a post on X, RHA said the government had agreed to discuss the demands of activists associated with the reservation reform movement. The campaign said the information was conveyed by a person identified as Harsh, who told them that a central minister would personally hold talks with protesters. However, the announcement from the group did not indicate that any agreement had been reached on the substantive demands being raised by the movement.
Also Read: Anti-Reservation Protest At Jantar Mantar Ends With Delhi Police Detentions
RHA also made it clear that the reported willingness to hold discussions did not mean that the agitation had ended. The campaign said the movement would continue despite the government's reported decision to engage with protesters. The clarification indicates that the group intends to use the proposed talks as an opportunity to present its demands rather than treat the government's reported outreach as a conclusion to the campaign.
The campaign also named several individuals it wants to be included in the proposed discussions. Among those mentioned were right-wing influencer Ajeet Bharti and commentators Anand Ranganathan and Neha Laldas. RHA said their participation could help present the movement's arguments and supporting data more effectively. The group has not publicly indicated that the proposed list has been accepted by the government.
The reported development now puts the focus on whether formal discussions between government representatives and the protesters will take place and what issues will be considered. While RHA has described the government's response as a willingness to engage, the movement's clarification that the protest is not over suggests that its demands remain unresolved. Further talks are expected to determine whether the two sides can find common ground on the reservation reforms sought by the campaign.
Also Read: NEET Protests Probe: Supreme Court Sets Up Five-Member Panel