IAS Officer Gangwar Contacts Govt, Cites Family Emergency For Absence
Karnataka IAS officer resurfaces, cites family emergency for silence.
Karnataka IAS officer Gyanendra Kumar Gangwar, who was reportedly unreachable after being last traced to Kempegowda International Airport, has contacted the state government and clarified that he travelled to his hometown due to a family emergency. Karnataka Minister Priyank Kharge said on Saturday that Gangwar had sought leave before making the urgent journey, but could not be reached on his official phone, leading to reports about his whereabouts.
Gangwar, a 2016-batch IAS officer, is currently serving as Director of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) in the Department of Industries and Commerce. Reports had emerged that he had been incommunicado since August 20 and had booked a flight to Delhi. The state government subsequently began looking into the matter after receiving information that the officer could not be contacted through his usual communication channels.
Kharge said the officer had now communicated with the government and explained the circumstances behind his absence. According to the minister, Gangwar had taken leave because of a family emergency and had travelled urgently to his hometown. His lack of communication while travelling had initially raised concerns, although Kharge clarified that no formal missing-person complaint had been filed by Gangwar’s family or any other person.
Also Read: IAS Officer Rahul Bansal Faces Rs 1 Crore Bribery Allegation, Old Video Resurfaces
Earlier on Saturday, Kharge had said the government was aware that the officer was unreachable and that he had last been traced to Kempegowda International Airport. He said information had been received from the airport and that officials were examining the circumstances. At that stage, the government had not confirmed Gangwar’s location, while reports that all modes of communication with him had been disconnected prompted further scrutiny.
The episode also drew attention because Gangwar had previously served as Controller of Examinations at the Karnataka Public Service Commission (KPSC) before being replaced in March this year. Reports had suggested a possible connection between his absence and developments during his tenure at the commission, although those claims were not independently confirmed. The matter comes amid increased scrutiny of the KPSC and its functioning.
The Karnataka Cabinet on Friday decided to recommend to Governor Thaawarchand Gehlot that KPSC chairperson Shivashankarappa S Sahukar be suspended and that an inquiry be initiated against him. Against this backdrop, Gangwar’s reported disappearance had generated speculation, but the latest clarification from the officer indicates that his absence was linked to a family emergency. The state government has now been informed of his whereabouts and the immediate uncertainty surrounding the case has been resolved.
Also Read: Tukaram Mundhe's Tenure as FDA Commissioner Draws Parallels to Govind Khairnar