Tehran Calls Trump’s Warning To Allies “Economic Terrorism,” Escalating Iran-US Tensions
Iran Calls Trump’s Warning Economic Terrorism.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Thursday criticised US President Donald Trump's latest economic pressure campaign against Tehran, describing Washington's approach as a continuation of failed policies that would ultimately deepen America's difficulties. His remarks came after Trump warned countries and businesses against maintaining economic links with Iran, threatening severe consequences for those that continue to provide financial or commercial support. Araghchi said Trump's announcement was intended to divert attention from problems within the United States itself. In a post on X, the Iranian foreign minister described the so-called "Economic D-Day" as a distraction from what he called America's unprecedented debt and rising interest costs.
He argued that continuing to rely on economic pressure would bring Washington further defeat while increasing hostility towards the United States among Iranians. The Iranian minister also accused Washington of practising what he called "US economic terrorism" and warned that such measures could threaten the global economy and national sovereignty. His comments came in response to Trump's announcement on Truth Social, in which the US president said Washington would launch an unprecedented campaign of economic warfare and isolation against Iran.
Trump warned countries that they could face major economic consequences if their financial institutions, businesses, airports or government entities provided Iran with what he described as any form of economic lifeline. The warning appeared aimed not only at Tehran but also at third countries and international businesses that maintain commercial or financial relationships with Iran despite US restrictions. The latest exchange comes amid a broader deterioration in relations between Washington and Tehran following the outbreak of direct hostilities earlier this year. According to the information provided, fighting began on February 28 after US and Israeli attacks on Iran, prompting Iranian retaliation across the region.
Also Read: Iranian Military Warns Gulf Nations Against Supporting US Amid Rising Regional Tensions
The conflict marked a major escalation in the long-running confrontation between Iran, the United States and Israel. An April 8 ceasefire brought an end to the most intense bombardment, but tensions have continued in and around the Strait of Hormuz. The strategic waterway is one of the world's most important energy routes, carrying a significant share of global oil and gas supplies. Iran's blockade of the strait has subsequently emerged as a major flashpoint, adding economic and geopolitical risks to the wider conflict. Trump's latest threat indicates that Washington is seeking to increase pressure on Tehran through economic isolation rather than relying solely on military measures.
Restrictions targeting financial institutions, businesses and transport infrastructure could have implications for countries and companies that continue trading with Iran or maintaining other forms of economic engagement. Iran, however, has repeatedly rejected US sanctions and economic pressure as ineffective. Araghchi's response suggests Tehran is unwilling to accept Washington's demands and instead intends to portray the latest measures as an extension of a strategy that has failed to change Iranian policy. His remarks also sought to frame the dispute as one involving wider questions of economic sovereignty and international stability. The confrontation has consequences beyond the two countries because of Iran's role in regional security and the importance of the Strait of Hormuz to global energy markets.
Any further escalation around the waterway could affect shipping, energy prices and international trade, while expanded US sanctions could create additional pressure on businesses operating across multiple jurisdictions. The latest statements from Trump and Araghchi therefore underline the continuing confrontation between Washington and Tehran despite the ceasefire that ended the most intense phase of fighting. While Trump has threatened unprecedented economic consequences for countries and businesses dealing with Iran, Araghchi has rejected the strategy as failed economic warfare. The competing positions suggest that economic pressure and the broader dispute between the two countries are likely to remain major sources of tension.
Also Read: Iran Signals Offensive in Hormuz if Diplomatic Efforts With Washington Fail, Officials Say