Suvendu Adhikari Declares Zero Tolerance After Kolkata Stone-Pelting Incident
Suvendu Adhikari warns strict action after Kolkata violence involving attacks on police personnel.
West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari on Monday issued a strong warning following violent clashes in Kolkata’s Park Circus-Tiljala area, declaring a “zero tolerance” policy against attacks on police personnel and vandalism. His remarks came a day after protests against a bulldozer drive targeting alleged illegal structures turned violent, leaving several police officers injured and prompting multiple arrests.
The violence reportedly involved stone-pelting and damage to police vehicles during demonstrations in the minority-dominated Park Circus area. According to officials, six police personnel and two CRPF jawans were injured in the incident. Authorities have so far arrested around 40 individuals, with the investigation being closely monitored by senior police officials.
Addressing reporters after visiting the Park Circus Deputy Commissioner’s office and meeting injured personnel, Adhikari expressed full support for the police force and praised their restraint during the unrest. He said law enforcement agencies had prevented a larger escalation despite provocation and assured them of complete backing from the state government.
Also Read: #BreakingNews: Delhi Man Shot Dead In Preet Vihar Parking Dispute Incident
In a sharply worded statement, the Chief Minister said that such incidents would not be tolerated in the future and warned of strict legal consequences. He asserted that the era of “tied hands and feet” policing was over, urging officers to act decisively under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita while ignoring political or community affiliations while enforcing the law.
Adhikari also described the violence as “planned” and warned that repeat incidents would face the strictest response, stating that those responsible would not be spared. He further announced plans to strengthen and modernise the police force within six months and indicated that he would request the Centre to extend the deployment of central paramilitary forces in the state to maintain order.
Also Read: Iranian Gunboats Fire on Tanker Near Oman in Strait of Hormuz Incident: UK Body Reports