Punjabi Singer Murdered Over Rejected Marriage Proposal; Accused Fled to Canada After Crime
Punjabi singer Inder Kaur found dead in canal; accused wanted marriage despite having a Canadian wife.
Punjabi singer Inder Kaur was found dead in a canal in Ludhiana days after she was allegedly kidnapped, with her family accusing a Canada-based man of orchestrating the crime after she rejected his marriage proposal. Police have launched a manhunt for the prime accused, identified as Sukhwinder Singh, while several of his associates and relatives have already been detained in connection with the case. The incident has triggered outrage across Punjab’s music industry and renewed concerns over crimes targeting women artists in the state.
Inder Kaur, whose full name was Yashinder Kaur, was considered an emerging voice in the Punjabi music scene and had gained recognition through songs such as “Sone Di Chirhi,” “Jija,” “Sohna Lagda,” and “Desi Sirre Da.” The singer, believed to be in her late twenties, had reportedly been missing for six days before her body was recovered from the Neelon Canal in Ludhiana on Tuesday. Her remains were later shifted to Samrala Civil Hospital for a post-mortem examination after her family formally identified her.
According to the victim’s family, Sukhwinder Singh had been pursuing Inder Kaur for marriage despite already being married and settled in Canada. Family members alleged that the singer rejected his proposal after discovering details about his existing marriage overseas. They further claimed that the accused traveled from Canada to Punjab seeking revenge after being turned down. Relatives accused him of continuously harassing the singer and alleged that the situation escalated into a planned abduction and murder.
Also Read: Punjabi Singer Inder Kaur Found Dead In Ludhiana Canal, Two Arrested
The complaint filed by the singer’s brother, Jotinder Singh, stated that Sukhwinder Singh and his associates allegedly intercepted the singer, kidnapped her at gunpoint, killed her, and later dumped her body into the canal before fleeing. Following the complaint, police registered an FIR on May 15 against Sukhwinder Singh, also known as Sukha, along with another accused identified as Karamjit Singh. Authorities said investigations are continuing to determine the exact sequence of events leading to the murder.
Police officials confirmed that multiple arrests have already been made during the investigation. Those detained include the main accused’s father, Pritam Singh, along with Karamjit Singh and another associate named Ravinder Singh, who was allegedly present during the incident. Officials said efforts are ongoing to trace Sukhwinder Singh, who is suspected to have fled following the crime. Investigators are also examining claims that he may have attempted to return to Canada after the incident.
The case has sparked criticism from the victim’s family, who accused local police of failing to act swiftly despite the kidnapping complaint being filed several days earlier. Relatives questioned why stronger action was not taken immediately after the FIR was registered and argued that faster intervention could possibly have saved the singer’s life. Balbir Singh confirmed that a formal case has been registered and assured that all accused individuals connected to the crime would be brought to justice as investigations continue.
Also Read: UPI Transaction At Toll Booth Under Scanner In Chandranath Rath Murder Investigation