Police Detain 113 After Violence Erupts During Bhubaneswar Transport Workers’ Protest
113 Arrested After Bhubaneswar Transport Protest Violence.
Bhubaneswar police have arrested 113 people in connection with violence during a protest by app-based taxi and auto-rickshaw drivers demanding higher fares and better working conditions. The protesters had launched a cease-work campaign earlier in the week, seeking government intervention over fares and charges imposed by online ride-hailing platforms. Police said those arrested were produced before a local court on Thursday.
Bhubaneswar Deputy Commissioner of Police Jagmohan Meena said another 60 people who had been taken into custody in connection with the protest were released on personal bonds. Police have also seized 354 vehicles following the unrest. Seven First Information Reports (FIRs) have been registered at Kharavela Nagar police station as authorities investigate the violence and alleged damage caused during the demonstration.
The violence occurred on Wednesday near Station Square and Master Canteen after police attempted to disperse protesters who had blocked roads with their vehicles. According to police, protesters allegedly pelted stones at personnel and vandalised public buses and police vehicles. The confrontation disrupted traffic in parts of the city and escalated the dispute between the protesting drivers and authorities.
Drivers and riders associated with various online ride-hailing platforms had begun their cease-work on August 17. They are pressing for a seven-point set of demands, including higher fares, reduced application fees, social security measures and other benefits. The protest has highlighted concerns among drivers over their earnings and the costs associated with operating through app-based platforms.
One of the key demands is government intervention to regulate the charges imposed by online platforms and establish a mechanism for determining minimum and maximum fares. The drivers argue that a regulated fare structure would provide greater predictability in their earnings and prevent rates from being determined solely through platform-based systems.
The protesters are also seeking payment for waiting time during rides, compensation for time lost because of traffic congestion and full payment when passengers cancel bookings. These demands reflect broader concerns among app-based transport workers over unpaid time and operating expenses that can reduce their effective earnings during long working hours.
Also Read: Rajnath Singh Raises Mahasagar Vision During High-Level Defence Discussions With Japan
The cease-work campaign has affected transport services in Bhubaneswar as drivers withdrew vehicles from major ride-hailing platforms. The subsequent road blockade and violence added another dimension to the dispute, prompting police action and the registration of multiple cases. The arrests and vehicle seizures come as authorities attempt to investigate the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's clashes. Police are examining the alleged obstruction of roads, attacks on personnel and damage to public property. The release of 60 people on personal bonds indicates that not everyone taken into custody remains detained.
The dispute now places pressure on both the state government and the transport sector to address the drivers' concerns while maintaining public order. The protesters are seeking a formal mechanism to regulate fares and improve financial protections, while authorities have made clear that violence, road blockades and damage to public property will face legal action.
With 113 people arrested and seven FIRs registered, the protest has escalated beyond a fare dispute into a significant law-and-order issue in the Odisha capital. Further negotiations between the government, ride-hailing companies and driver representatives could determine whether the cease-work movement ends or continues in the coming days.
Also Read: One Month After Assam Floods, Sivasagar Rebuilds As Residents Remain Wary