×
 

NEET UG Paper Leak Forces Tough Decisions, Says Dharmendra Pradhan

NEET UG cancelled, re-test planned after paper leak controversy.

Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan on Friday said that the government took “tough decisions” after irregularities were detected in the NEET UG examination, asserting that authorities are now working to ensure a completely error-free re-test scheduled for June 21.

Speaking at the Jagran Bharat Education Conclave 2026, Pradhan defended the Centre’s handling of the controversy surrounding the medical entrance exam, stating that the priority was to ensure that no deserving candidate lost a seat due to the actions of what he described as an “examination mafia.” He emphasised that the government acted after identifying compromised assessments in the system.

The minister acknowledged that around 22 lakh students were affected and said they had suffered significant “mental anguish” due to the uncertainty surrounding the examination process. He said the government understood the impact on students and their families and took responsibility for addressing the situation through corrective measures.

Also Read: Rahul Gandhi Reiterates Demand For Action Against Dharmendra Pradhan Over NEET Paper Leak

The issue emerged after the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (Undergraduate), conducted on May 3, was cancelled following allegations of a paper leak and irregularities. The matter is currently under investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation, while the National Testing Agency has announced that a fresh examination will be conducted on June 21.

Pradhan said the decision to cancel the exam was taken after it was found that certain assessments had been compromised, and stressed that the government could not allow unfair practices to undermine merit-based admissions. He added that the administration was aware of the criticism it faced but maintained that addressing systemic flaws was necessary to restore credibility.

Reiterating the government’s commitment, the education minister said every effort would be made to ensure that the upcoming re-examination is conducted in a transparent and flawless manner. He stressed that restoring student confidence in the examination process remains a top priority, especially after the large-scale disruption caused by the controversy.

Also Read: Education Minister Chairs First Meeting On NEET Re-Exam Amid Leak Allegations

 
 
 
Gallery Gallery Videos Videos Share on WhatsApp Share