×
 

Devendra Mahto Ends 16-Day Fast After Government Scraps Key Jharkhand Exams

Devendra Mahto Ends 16-Day Hunger Strike.

Jharkhand student leader Devendra Nath Mahato on Monday evening ended his hunger strike after the state government cancelled examinations and recruitment processes for government jobs amid weeks of student protests over alleged irregularities. Mahato, who had been admitted to Ranchi's Sadar Hospital, called off his fast after meeting ministers and legislators who visited him at the hospital. His decision came shortly after Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation of several examinations and recruitment processes.

Mahato thanked the government for the steps taken and said students would support efforts to address alleged corruption in the examination system. He said the ongoing investigation was focused on identifying those responsible for examination irregularities and assured that student groups would cooperate with the government's efforts to reform the recruitment process. His decision to end the hunger strike followed the meeting with the visiting ministers and MLAs, bringing an immediate pause to the protest action.

According to news agency ANI, Mahato said authorities were making a concerted effort to identify the main people allegedly operating examination-related irregularity networks. "They are making a concerted effort to reach the true kingpins behind these gangs," he was quoted as saying. His comments came after the state government announced action affecting examinations and recruitment that had become a major source of contention between student groups and the authorities.

Also Read: Devendra Mahto Hospitalised As Jharkhand Protest Escalates Over Recruitment Exams

Mahato also stressed that students wanted more than investigations into individual cases and called for structural measures to prevent examination paper leaks and other irregularities in the future. He pointed to previous instances in which investigations by central or state agencies were ordered but later discontinued, arguing that students needed stronger assurances from the government. He said the administration should establish a system capable of ensuring that such irregularities do not recur.

"I have seen many instances where CBI or CID investigations were ordered and then cancelled," Mahato said, according to ANI. He added that students wanted a system under which the government could guarantee that paper leaks and examination irregularities would not happen again. He also reiterated that students would cooperate with the government in its efforts to reform the examination system and strengthen safeguards around recruitment examinations.

The developments followed weeks of protests by students demanding action over alleged irregularities in government recruitment examinations. The issue had generated sustained pressure on the Hemant Soren government, with student groups seeking accountability as well as measures to protect the integrity of future examinations. Mahato's hunger strike had become a prominent part of the wider protest, drawing attention to the students' demands and increasing pressure on the state administration.

Late on Monday evening, Soren announced that all examinations and recruitment made for government jobs would stand cancelled. The decision included examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC CGL). With the government announcing the cancellations and Mahato ending his hunger strike, the immediate confrontation has eased. However, the student leader's emphasis on long-term safeguards indicates that students are likely to continue monitoring the investigation and the government's promised reforms to ensure greater transparency and prevent future examination irregularities.

Also Read: Who Is Devendra Nath Mahto? Student Leader Backing Education Reform Protests

 
 
 
Gallery Gallery Videos Videos Share on WhatsApp Share