×
 

Spain Earthquakes: Child Among 3 Injured as More Tremors Hit Granada

Three more earthquakes hit Granada, injuring three people including a child.

Three more earthquakes measuring above magnitude 4 struck Spain’s southern Granada province on Tuesday, causing damage to buildings, disrupting public facilities and leaving at least three people lightly injured. Andalusia regional official Antonio Sanz said one of those injured was a child who was taken to hospital for treatment. Authorities also restricted access to parts of the historic Alhambra complex, while several museums and sports facilities were temporarily closed as a precaution following the latest tremors.

The strongest of Tuesday’s earthquakes measured 4.7 and struck at 10:37 am local time, according to Spain’s National Geographic Institute (IGN). Its epicentre was located near the town of Gojar, around 10 km south of Granada city. The earthquake was followed by two slightly weaker tremors in nearby towns on the southern outskirts of Granada. Authorities said the relatively shallow depth of the Gojar earthquake made it more strongly felt and increased the possibility of localised damage to structures.

Several residential buildings were affected, with reports of large cracks appearing in walls, portions of facades coming loose and bricks falling onto pavements. Granada’s provincial authorities announced the closure of administrative buildings, museums and sporting facilities while keeping primary healthcare centres open. The city’s metro system also reduced train speeds to 30 kilometres per hour as a precaution. Local media reported that some hotels were temporarily evacuated as residents and visitors reacted to the repeated tremors.

Also Read: Rituraj Sinha Gets Limited Role in BJP as Nitin Nabin's Influence Grows

The latest earthquakes came just days after a magnitude 5 earthquake struck the historic city of Granada on Saturday. That earlier tremor damaged houses and vehicles and led authorities to temporarily close the Alhambra, one of Spain’s most prominent tourist attractions. The mediaeval palace-fortress, located on a hill overlooking Granada, attracts millions of visitors each year. On Tuesday, tourist access to some areas of the sprawling complex was again interrupted following the new seismic activity.

Authorities are continuing to assess the extent of the damage caused by the latest series of earthquakes. The repeated tremors have prompted precautionary measures across the province, particularly around public buildings, tourist attractions and transport infrastructure. While the injuries reported so far have been described as light, officials are monitoring buildings for structural damage and advising people to remain cautious as further tremors remain possible.

The earthquake sequence has caused disruption across Granada but has so far resulted in no reports of major casualties in the information provided by authorities. Emergency and local officials are assessing affected structures while essential health services remain operational. The latest activity has also highlighted the vulnerability of historic buildings and densely populated areas to repeated shallow earthquakes, with authorities taking additional precautions to protect residents, tourists and public infrastructure.

Also Read: Minor Kidnapping Case: Delhi Court Upholds Charges Against Gujarat Police Officers

 
 
 
Gallery Gallery Videos Videos Share on WhatsApp Share