×
 

Police Investigate Fatal Shooting At San Diego Mosque After Five Deaths Reported

Deadly shooting at San Diego mosque leaves five people dead.

Three people were killed in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday in what authorities are investigating as a possible hate crime, according to police officials. Two teenage suspects were also found dead following the incident, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said during a press briefing near the scene.Among those killed was a security guard working at the mosque, one of the largest Islamic centres in San Diego County. The mosque complex also houses the Al Rashid School, which offers classes in Arabic, Islamic studies and Quranic education for children aged five and above.

Authorities have not yet publicly identified the victims or disclosed details regarding how the teenage suspects died.Television aerial footage from the area showed several children being escorted out of the mosque parking lot by adults as heavily armed police officers secured the neighbourhood. The mosque is located in a mixed residential and commercial area surrounded by homes, apartment complexes and businesses, including Middle Eastern restaurants and grocery stores.

Chief Wahl said investigators were treating the case as a hate crime, though he declined to provide further details regarding the suspects or a possible motive. Law enforcement agencies continued to process the crime scene late into the evening while officials urged the public to avoid speculation as the investigation remained active.

Also Read: Cuba Says US Military Strike Could Lead To ‘Bloodbath’

Imam Taha Hassane said the mosque has long focused on interfaith outreach and community engagement. He noted that earlier on Monday, a group of non-Muslim visitors had toured the mosque to learn more about Islam and the centre’s activities. The mosque’s website describes its mission as serving both the Muslim community and the broader public through education, social work and outreach initiatives.

California Governor Gavin Newsom was briefed on the incident, according to his office. In a statement posted on social media, the governor’s office thanked emergency responders and urged residents to follow instructions from local authorities as the investigation continued. Police have not yet announced whether additional arrests or charges are expected in connection with the shooting.

Also Read: Government Revises Jal Jeevan Spending Norms Over Tender And Cost Concerns

 
 
 
Gallery Gallery Videos Videos Share on WhatsApp Share