×
 

Pakistan Train Blast In Quetta Kills 24; BLA Claims Fidayeen Attack

Quetta train explosion kills 24; separatist group claims responsibility.

At least 24 people were killed and several others critically injured after a powerful explosion struck a railway track near Chaman Phatak in Quetta, the capital of Pakistan’s insurgency-hit Balochistan province, on Sunday. The blast targeted a train, causing multiple coaches to derail and catching at least one bogie of the Jaffer Express on fire, according to local reports. Emergency responders, including rescue teams and firefighters, rushed to the scene as thick smoke and panic spread through the surrounding area.

The explosion also caused widespread damage beyond the railway line, with nearby homes, shops, and parked vehicles sustaining heavy destruction. Windows of adjacent buildings were shattered due to the impact, while residents in the vicinity reported hearing a loud blast followed by chaos and rapid evacuation efforts. Security forces quickly cordoned off the area to prevent further risk and to assist in ongoing rescue operations as officials began assessing casualties and structural damage.

Shortly after the incident, the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) claimed responsibility for what it described as a “fidayeen” or suicide attack carried out by its Majeed Brigade, a unit the group refers to as its self-sacrificing wing. The group stated that the attack targeted Pakistani military personnel travelling on the train from Quetta Cantonment. The BLA further said it intended to release additional details regarding the operation and claimed casualties in a forthcoming statement.

Also Read: Shehbaz Sharif Begins Four-Day China Visit To Boost Bilateral Cooperation

Authorities in Balochistan confirmed that investigations were underway to verify the exact nature of the explosion and the identities of those killed and injured. Balochistan’s Special Assistant for Home Affairs, Babar Yousafzai, said that all relevant institutions had been placed on high alert following the incident. He urged residents to stay away from the blast site while rescue teams continued recovery and clearance operations amid fears of unexploded materials or secondary risks.

The attack comes amid ongoing unrest in Balochistan, a region that has long witnessed separatist violence and militant activity targeting security forces and infrastructure. The Jaffer Express, which was reportedly scheduled to travel toward Peshawar, was among the trains affected in the blast, highlighting the vulnerability of transport routes in the region. Security analysts note that railway networks in conflict-prone areas often remain high-risk targets due to their strategic and civilian significance.

As investigations continue, the incident has intensified concerns over security in southwestern Pakistan, particularly along key transport corridors. Officials have promised a detailed inquiry into the blast, while rescue operations remain ongoing to locate survivors and provide medical assistance to the injured. The full scale of damage is still being assessed as authorities work to restore control and ensure safety in the affected area.

Also Read: US Leans On Pakistan Mediation As Asim Munir’s Tehran Visit Gains Attention

 
 
 
Gallery Gallery Videos Videos Share on WhatsApp Share