Jharkhand Exam Row: Protests Persist Despite Cancellation, CBI Demand Stands
Jharkhand cancels exams over irregularities, but protesters demand CBI investigation.
The protest over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations conducted in Jharkhand is likely to continue, with protesters insisting on a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry despite the state government cancelling the contentious exams. Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday announced the cancellation of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and more than half a dozen other recruitment tests conducted by private firm TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL). The decision addressed one of the protesters’ major demands but failed to resolve their call for a central probe.
Ravindra Paswan, spokesperson for the protesting candidates, said the agitation would continue until the government agrees to a CBI investigation. He said ministers Dipika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari had visited the protesters and appealed to them to withdraw the agitation. However, Paswan said the government had not accepted the demand for a CBI inquiry and that protesters were examining the assurances made by Soren, including the notification and press release issued after the cancellations.
The government’s decision also triggered a separate reaction from candidates who had cleared the now-cancelled JSSC-CGL examination. Hundreds of successful candidates gathered at the state secretariat to question the cancellation, arguing that they had already cleared the recruitment process. The candidates are expected to meet on Tuesday to decide their next course of action and are likely to explore legal options against the government’s decision.
Also Read: Jharkhand Students Warn of Mass Movement as Recruitment Exam Protest Grows
The protest has also involved hunger strikes by several candidates and activists. Savita Mahto and Rajeev Pal said they would continue their fast, while Umme Habiba, Rahul Kranti and Devendra Mahto ended their hunger strike and were placed under medical observation at Ranchi’s Sadar Hospital. Devendra Mahto, a leader of the Jharkhand Loktantrik Krantikari Morcha, had reportedly been on hunger strike for 16 days. JLKM chief and legislator Jairam Mahto was present at the hospital when he ended his fast.
Jairam Mahto backed the demand for a CBI inquiry, arguing that the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination contradicted the earlier position of the state Criminal Investigation Department (CID) that there was no irregularity. He questioned how protesters could trust the same agency to investigate the matter and called for a CBI probe instead. State minister Dipika Pandey Singh, however, defended the government’s approach, saying action had already been initiated to ensure an impartial investigation and that the CID had been given a timeline to complete its work.
Singh said the government had directed that a charge sheet be filed within 90 days and that the case be taken up by a fast-track court to ensure a speedy verdict. She also questioned the effectiveness of the CBI by citing pending cases involving alleged paper leaks. The competing positions have left the dispute unresolved, with the government pointing to its decision to cancel the examinations and pursue a time-bound CID investigation, while protesters continue to demand a CBI inquiry. Further discussions among candidates are expected to determine the next phase of the agitation.
Also Read: Kewal Dhillon Questions Rahul Gandhi’s Absence From Jharkhand Student Protest