×
 

Children Found Abandoned In Portugal, Parents Arrested In Cross-Border Case

Children found abandoned in Portugal; parents arrested internationally.

Portuguese authorities have arrested a French woman and her partner after two young boys were allegedly found abandoned in a remote woodland area in southern Portugal, in a case that has triggered a cross-border investigation involving both Portuguese and French officials.

The children, aged five and three, were discovered near a rural road between Alcácer do Sal and Comporta, roughly 1,300 miles from their home in eastern France. According to local reports, the boys were found alone on Tuesday evening, visibly distressed, crying and calling out for their father when they were approached by residents in the area.

Police later detained the children’s 41-year-old mother and 55-year-old stepfather in the city of Fátima, located around 124 miles from where the children were found. Authorities said the couple are being investigated on suspicion of child abandonment, abuse, and endangering minors, while further inquiries are underway to establish the sequence of events leading to the incident.

Also Read: Telangana Couple Abandons Daughters at Police Station During Marital Counseling Session

Investigators are examining accounts suggesting the children may have been taken into woodland under the pretext of a game before being left alone. Reports indicate that the boys told rescuers they were blindfolded and only realised they had been abandoned after removing the coverings. Officials have not independently verified these claims but said they form part of the ongoing investigation.

A local baker, identified as Artur Quintas, who helped locate the children, said the boys appeared frightened and exhausted. He noted that they were carrying backpacks containing water, fruit, and spare clothing, a detail that investigators believe could indicate pre-planning rather than a spontaneous incident.

Authorities believe the family had travelled from Colmar in eastern France through Spain before entering Portugal. French officials had earlier received a complaint from the children’s biological father, who alleged that the children had been abducted, prompting additional scrutiny of the family’s movements across borders.

The children were taken to hospital for medical evaluation and are now in foster care as investigations continue in both Portugal and France. Officials from both countries are coordinating efforts to determine custody arrangements and to establish whether criminal charges will be pursued in connection with the alleged abandonment.

Also Read: French Man Charged With Sexual Assault On Miami-Bound Flight Claims "Didn't Think It Was A Big Deal"

 
 
 
Gallery Gallery Videos Videos Share on WhatsApp Share