Assam Flood Relief: 96,842 Families Receive Rs 15,000 Each
Nearly 97,000 flood-hit Assam families receive Rs 15,000 relief.
Nearly 97,000 flood-affected families in Assam have received one-time financial assistance of Rs 15,000 each as the state government begins a detailed assessment of damage caused by the recent floods. Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said 96,842 families had received the assistance so far, with the government spending Rs 146.26 crore on the relief. Another 31,991 families from four affected districts were covered in the latest round of assistance.
Sarma said the beneficiary list was still being prepared and around 3,000 additional families could receive assistance in the next phase. The government has also provided Rs 2,500 to eligible beneficiaries under the Orunodoi scheme. The Chief Minister said the financial support was intended to help affected families meet immediate needs and settle back into their homes after the floodwaters recede.
The government has simultaneously started a rapid assessment of damage across affected areas with the help of 1,144 teachers. Preliminary figures indicate that 26,681 houses and 18,887 cattle sheds have been damaged, while losses involving handloom raw materials have also been recorded. The assessment has so far covered around 5.98 lakh pets and domestic animals, while surveys of agricultural and fisheries losses are continuing. Around 99,256 farmers have been identified as having suffered crop or other agriculture-related losses.
Also Read: Assam Cop Dies After Vehicle Hits Him During Check; Police Probe Possible Drug Link
Sarma said the first phase of the damage survey is expected to be completed by August 28 or 29, after which the findings will be uploaded to a web portal. Affected residents will be able to check the information recorded against their names and submit objections if they have been left out or believe the damage assessment is inaccurate. A second verification round is scheduled for early September, with the revised list expected around September 15 or 16. Further field verification could be conducted if complaints remain unresolved.
The Chief Minister said the government aims to complete the assessment and provide financial assistance by October 9 or 10, although the process could finish by the end of September if additional verification is not required. Damage to houses and other properties recorded on the assessment portal has so far been estimated at around Rs 480 crore, though the figure is expected to change as the survey progresses. Longer-term rehabilitation is also being considered for severely affected areas of Sivasagar and Charaideo, including possible housing support under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana for eligible families.
Restoration work has begun at damaged schools, roads, naamghars and health facilities, while health and veterinary teams continue relief camps in flood-affected areas. The government is separately processing ex-gratia assistance of Rs 9 lakh for the next of kin of those who died in the floods. Sarma also urged eligible borrowers to apply for a bank-loan moratorium by August 31; 1,712 applications have been received so far. Insurance claims are also being processed, with 1,598 claims filed and 170 already settled.
Also Read: Assam Man Held Over Alleged Threat Against Himanta Biswa Sarma For Rs 1 Crore