White House Security Shooter Killed After Opening Fire At Checkpoint: Report
Shooter killed after firing at White House checkpoint amid alarming claims.
A shooting incident at a White House security checkpoint has raised fresh concerns over security around the US presidential residence after a 21-year-old suspect was shot dead by law enforcement officers on Sunday morning. According to multiple media reports, the incident occurred around 5 a.m. local time when the suspect allegedly opened fire at a security post near the White House while President Donald Trump was inside the building. Security personnel quickly responded, and the situation was brought under control.
Authorities identified the suspect as Nasire Best, a Maryland native, who reportedly had prior encounters with the US Secret Service. Officials said he had previously been flagged for unusual behaviour but had not been formally assessed as violent or as a direct security threat. In earlier incidents, he was reportedly detained for attempting to access restricted areas near the White House and had also been referred for psychiatric evaluation due to concerning conduct.
According to reports cited by US media outlets, Best had made disturbing statements online, including claims that he was the “real Osama bin Laden” and posts expressing intent to harm the US president. He was also reported to have described himself as a religious or messianic figure and had a documented history of mental health-related interventions. Despite this background, officials noted that he had not previously been found in possession of weapons during earlier encounters with law enforcement.
Also Read: Delivery Workers Report Lower Take-Home Pay Amid Incentive Changes
Investigators said that on Sunday morning, the suspect pulled a firearm from his bag and began firing toward a White House security checkpoint. Law enforcement personnel immediately engaged and neutralised him at the scene. A number of journalists present nearby were temporarily moved to secure locations inside the White House complex while authorities assessed the situation and confirmed there was no broader ongoing threat.
The incident has prompted renewed scrutiny of security protocols around high-profile government buildings in the United States, particularly given recent episodes of violence near or involving federal landmarks. Officials are also reviewing the suspect’s prior interactions with security agencies to determine whether warning signs were missed or whether intervention could have prevented the escalation. An official investigation into the shooting and the circumstances leading up to it is currently underway.
Also Read: Report Says Operation Sindoor Changed India’s Approach To Anti-Terror Warfare