Six Injured as Car Crashes into Barriers at Gurugram's AIT Chowk
Six hurt as car hits concrete barriers at Gurugram's AIT Chowk
Six people, including two children, were injured after their Hyundai Exter crashed into concrete barriers at AIT Chowk near Sector 55 on Golf Course Road early Wednesday morning. The accident took place between 3.30 am and 4 am while the two families were returning to Delhi from Gurugram. The vehicle was travelling towards Sikanderpur from Golf Course Extension Road when it collided with barriers placed around a U-turn.
The injured were identified as Kunal Chawla, his wife Arushi Chawla, their one-and-a-half-year-old son, and their neighbours Shivam Koli, his wife Priyanka Koli and their five-year-old son. Both families reside in the same locality near Shiv Mandir in Mehrauli, Delhi. Police said all six sustained injuries in the crash, but none of the injuries were reported to be fatal.
Following the collision, commuters who were passing through the area rushed to help the victims. They pulled the occupants out of the damaged vehicle and took them to a private hospital on Golf Course Extension Road. Kunal Chawla, who was driving the car, later said that the family members were shifted to Delhi by their relatives for further treatment.
Also Read: Rahul Gandhi Remembers Rajiv Gandhi, Says His Dream Will Inspire India’s Progress Ahead
According to a police official familiar with the investigation, the U-turn at AIT Chowk has been created using several heavy concrete barriers. The official said a possible visibility issue may have prevented the driver from noticing the barriers in time. The vehicle consequently crashed directly into the concrete structures, leaving the occupants injured and severely damaging the car.
Chawla alleged that poor lighting, a lack of warning signs and the absence of reflective tape made the barriers difficult to see at night. He said lights from vehicles travelling in the opposite direction also caused glare, making it harder to identify the obstruction. Chawla credited the use of seatbelts and the deployment of airbags with helping protect the occupants and said they were fortunate to survive the crash.
Gurugram Police said no formal complaint had been filed in connection with the incident so far. Sandeep Turan, the police public relations officer, said officers at Sector 56 police station made a diary entry after commuters alerted the control room. He added that the crash was reportedly the first such incident at the location in several months and said traffic officials could inspect the spot if necessary. The accident has also raised concerns about the visibility and marking of temporary road barriers at busy junctions.
Also Read: Marathi Test Rule: Auto, Taxi Drivers to Face Action From Today