Pyongyang Rejects Trump’s Reduced US-South Korea Military Exercises, Declares No Interest
North Korea Rejects Reduced US-South Korea Drills.
North Korea has dismissed the significance of the United States' decision to reduce the scale of its annual military exercises with South Korea, saying the drills remain provocative despite being shortened and scaled back. The comments from Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, appeared to reduce expectations of an early revival of diplomatic engagement between Pyongyang and US President Donald Trump. Kim Yo Jong said Wednesday that North Korea had no interest in commenting positively on Washington's decision to reduce the size and duration of the joint exercises. "We think it's not worth making comments on that and we have no interest in it at all," she said in a statement carried by North Korean state media. She argued that reducing the drills would not alter how Pyongyang views their purpose or character.
"The provocative, aggressive nature of the drills won't change even though their duration and size were reduced," Kim Yo Jong said. Her remarks represented North Korea's first response to Trump's move to drastically scale back the annual US-South Korean military exercises, which Pyongyang has consistently described as preparations for an invasion. Kim also pointed to other military activities conducted jointly by Washington and Seoul earlier this year. She cited the broader pattern of US-South Korean defence cooperation rather than focusing solely on the latest decision regarding the annual exercises. Her statement suggested that Pyongyang continues to view the alliance's military activities as a broader security threat, regardless of changes to individual exercises.
The North Korean official also criticised South Korea's efforts to introduce nuclear-powered submarines, adding another point of tension to the security relationship on the Korean Peninsula. Seoul has been seeking to strengthen its military capabilities in response to North Korea's growing nuclear and missile programmes. Pyongyang has repeatedly condemned moves by South Korea and its allies to expand their defence capabilities. The latest comments also cast doubt on claims of renewed communication between Trump and Kim Jong Un. Kim Yo Jong explicitly denied that there were communications between the North Korean leader and the US president. Her statement came after Trump said earlier in the week that Kim had responded to his request for a conversation, raising speculation that contact between the two leaders could resume.
Also Read: Trump Says Personal Understanding With Kim Jong Un Could Ease Korean Peninsula Tensions
Trump and Kim previously held high-level meetings during Trump's first presidency, producing unprecedented direct engagement between Washington and Pyongyang. Their diplomacy ultimately failed to produce a lasting agreement on North Korea's nuclear weapons programme, and relations subsequently deteriorated. The prospect of renewed talks has remained uncertain amid North Korea's continued development of nuclear and missile capabilities. North Korea's latest position indicates that simply reducing the scale of military exercises may not be sufficient to bring Pyongyang back to negotiations. Kim Yo Jong's comments suggest that North Korea is seeking broader changes in the US-South Korean security relationship rather than viewing modifications to individual drills as meaningful concessions.
The dispute comes as tensions remain high on the Korean Peninsula. North Korea continues to expand its military capabilities, while the United States and South Korea maintain their security alliance and conduct exercises designed to improve readiness. Seoul and Washington have consistently described the drills as defensive, while Pyongyang regards them as evidence of hostile intentions. For now, Kim Yo Jong's rejection of the scaled-back exercises and denial of direct communications between Trump and Kim indicate that diplomatic engagement remains uncertain. While Washington's reduction of the drills could potentially be intended to create space for dialogue, Pyongyang's response suggests it does not regard the move as sufficient to change its assessment of US and South Korean military cooperation.
Also Read: Trump Confronts CNN Reporter Over Questions About Natalie Harp And North Korea