×
 

BJP Attacks Rahul Gandhi Over Delhi Dharna, Alleges Congress Is Undermining Police Procedures

BJP criticises Rahul Gandhi’s Delhi police protest.

The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Friday criticised Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi after he staged a sit-in outside the Parliament Street Police Station in New Delhi, demanding registration of an FIR over alleged pellet injuries sustained by a young protester during a July 20 demonstration. BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad accused Gandhi and the Congress of engaging in what he described as the "politics of anarchy" and alleged that the party was attempting to divert public attention from the controversy surrounding the national song Vande Mataram.

Congress leaders and party workers gathered outside the police station as Gandhi sat in protest alongside Sahil Lochab, who was allegedly injured by pellet gunfire during the July 20 protest at Jantar Mantar. Gandhi's demonstration centred on Lochab's demand for legal action over the alleged police action. The Congress has maintained that the young protester was peacefully demonstrating when he sustained serious injuries, including damage that has reportedly placed the vision in one eye at risk.

Prasad said Gandhi was staging the protest without prior permission or information and questioned his decision to demonstrate at the police station. "It is very unfortunate that LoP Rahul Gandhi does politics of anarchy," Prasad said. He claimed that police had informed Gandhi that an FIR concerning the incident had already been registered and that the matter was being investigated. Prasad also referred to a high-powered committee constituted by the Supreme Court to examine the incident.

Also Read: Rahul Gandhi Visits Police Station, Seeks FIR Over Pellet-Gun Injury Claim

The BJP leader further accused the Congress of using the protest to shift political attention away from its position on the Vande Mataram controversy. He said the BJP condemned the actions of the Rahul Gandhi-led Congress and questioned whether the Opposition leader was willing to respect legal procedures. The BJP's criticism added a political dimension to Gandhi's demand for action over the alleged injury, with the ruling party focusing on the status of the existing investigation and the judicial process.

Gandhi, however, said he had approached the DCP office at Parliament Street to seek registration of an FIR concerning the alleged police action against Lochab. In a post on X, he accused Union Home Minister Amit Shah of being afraid of justice and alleged that the young protester had been subjected to police brutality while peacefully demonstrating at Jantar Mantar. Gandhi said Lochab had suffered severe pellet injuries and that his eyesight in one eye was now at risk.

Gandhi also alleged that neither the Home Minister nor the Prime Minister had provided an explanation or apology to students over the incident. He said that even when Lochab sought to pursue legal action, his attempt to file an FIR was not being allowed. Gandhi described the situation as an infringement of constitutional rights and called for a judicial inquiry into the alleged use of force. He said those found responsible should face action, regardless of their position.

The competing claims have brought the alleged July 20 incident and the handling of the subsequent complaint into the political spotlight. The BJP has maintained that the matter is already being investigated and has pointed to the judicial committee, while Gandhi and the Congress have demanded accountability and a formal investigation into the alleged police action. The dispute is now unfolding alongside the wider political disagreement over the Vande Mataram issue, with both sides using the episode to challenge the other's conduct and position.

Also Read: Rahul Gandhi Predicts PM Modi, Shah’s Political Decline During Fiery Congress Meeting Address

 
 
 
Gallery Gallery Videos Videos Share on WhatsApp Share