×
 

Authorities Complete 85% Bandra East Demolition Amid Violent Resistance

Mumbai demolition drive continued despite violence and court proceedings.

Authorities in Mumbai said 85 per cent of the demolition work in Bandra East’s Garib Nagar has been completed amid violent clashes, arrests and an ongoing legal dispute over the anti-encroachment drive linked to railway expansion works. Officials said nearly 5,000 square metres of land required for the construction of the fifth and sixth railway lines has already been reclaimed.

The large-scale demolition drive turned violent after a crowd of nearly 150 people allegedly attacked police personnel and civic officials during the operation. According to officials, members of the mob hurled stones at police teams and demolition workers while also placing cement blocks in front of bulldozers in an attempt to stop the exercise. Three police personnel were injured during the clashes, prompting authorities to carry out a lathi-charge to disperse the crowd and regain control of the area.

Police have so far arrested 18 people in connection with the violence. During court proceedings in Bandra, the public prosecutor argued that the unrest was not spontaneous but part of a pre-planned conspiracy aimed at obstructing government officials and security personnel from carrying out court-directed demolition work. The prosecution also defended the inclusion of serious charges, including attempt to murder under Section 109, stating that custodial interrogation was necessary to identify those allegedly responsible for planning the attack.

Also Read: Umar Khalid Approaches Delhi High Court Seeking Interim Bail In Riots Case

The defence, however, questioned the legality and transparency of the demolition exercise. Lawyers representing the accused argued that a local mosque was demolished without proper authorisation or supporting documentation. The defence further contended that the original order issued by the Bombay High Court did not specifically mention religious structures within the scope of the demolition drive.

Residents displaced by the operation also voiced anger over the timing of the demolitions, saying the action was carried out just days before Eid celebrations scheduled for May 27. Several families claimed they were left without adequate time to make alternate arrangements and alleged that authorities failed to properly communicate the scale of the exercise in advance.

The anti-encroachment drive is being conducted by Western Railway in slum areas surrounding the eastern side of Bandra railway station, where officials estimate around 500 illegal structures had been erected. The operation was launched following directions from the Bombay High Court as part of a broader infrastructure project aimed at expanding railway capacity and easing congestion on Mumbai’s suburban rail network.

Also Read: SpaceX Postpones Starship Launch Following Technical Review Before Liftoff

 
 
 
Gallery Gallery Videos Videos Share on WhatsApp Share