×
 

Canada to Impose Dollar-For-Dollar Tariffs on US Goods From September 8

Carney announces retaliatory tariffs after Canada-US trade talks collapse.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced retaliatory tariffs on American goods from September 8, escalating the trade dispute with the United States after President Donald Trump imposed 50 per cent tariffs on several Canadian products. Carney defended the decision in a televised address, saying Canada had been “attacked” and needed to respond to protect its economy, industries and sovereignty. The latest move marks a sharp deterioration in relations between the two long-standing allies.

The Canadian counter-tariffs will cover a range of American products, including dairy, steel, household appliances, farming equipment, electronics, pulp and paper and other goods. The US tariffs, which took effect earlier on Saturday, affect products worth roughly USD 20 billion and represent about 5 per cent of Canada's annual exports to the United States. The measures have raised concerns about higher costs for businesses and consumers on both sides of the border.

Carney said Canada had been prepared to remove some of its existing counter-tariffs on US aluminium, steel and motor vehicles if Washington substantially reduced its own duties. Ottawa had also been willing to encourage provinces to resume sales of American alcohol. However, Carney said the final US proposal contained conditions that Canada could not accept, particularly those affecting Canadian industries, trade policy and national sovereignty.

Also Read: Canada Suspends Trade Talks With US: Carney Calls Deal "Unfair, Uneconomic"

The latest escalation followed the collapse of more than a year of negotiations between the two countries. Canadian and US officials had held several rounds of discussions and appeared to be moving closer to an agreement before the latest breakdown. Carney said additional conditions introduced by Washington at the final stage would have reduced tariff concessions for Canadian-built automobiles and limited Canada's ability to negotiate independent trade agreements with other countries.

The dispute has also created uncertainty around the future of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, which governs a major share of trade across North America. Ontario Premier Doug Ford backed Canada's decision to retaliate, saying Ottawa had his support for matching the US measures. US officials, meanwhile, argued that Washington had offered concessions on sensitive sectors such as lumber, steel and automobiles but said Canada rejected the proposed terms.

Canada's heavy dependence on the US market makes the confrontation particularly significant for its economy. More than 70 per cent of Canadian goods exports are destined for the United States, while a substantial share of services exports also goes south of the border. Carney's announcement therefore signals not only a fresh round of tariff action but also a broader effort by Ottawa to diversify its trading relationships and reduce its economic dependence on the US. The dispute is expected to put further pressure on businesses and could reshape trade relations between the neighbouring countries.

Also Read: Canada's Edmonton Gurdwara Attack Injures Two; Carney Denounces Stabbing As Appalling

 
 
 
Gallery Gallery Videos Videos Share on WhatsApp Share